Home Remedy for Dry Mouth Treatment
Natural Remedies For Dry Mouth
Mouth dryness is a common problem that many people are suffering from. It can lead to dry skin, dry lips, and dry eyes. It can also be a symptom of other health problems such as diabetes or Sjogren’s Syndrome. The good news is that there are various remedies for a dry mouth!
This blog post will discuss some home remedies you may not have heard about before, as well as their benefits and drawbacks.
Why Is Saliva Important For The Body?
Saliva is necessary for your mouth to stay healthy. Consistent saliva production can help control the bacteria in your mouth by preventing them from tooth decay and helps remove food particles when you eat. It helps to improve your oral hygiene.
Lack of saliva can cause:
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Oral hygiene problems, including cavities, tooth decay, and other diseases of the mouth.
- Denture-wearing trouble or discomfort. Difficulty with speech or swallowing due to oral problems.
What’s Causing Dry Mouth?
Some of the causes of dry mouth include medications, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or being dehydrated. In some cases, dry mouth may be a symptom of something else, like dry eyes.
What Are The Dry Mouth Symptoms?
Dry mouth symptoms are as follows:
- Dryness and Stickiness in the Mouth
- Mouth sores
- A Dry, Hoarse, or Sore Throat
- Bad Breath
- Changes in the Sense of Taste
- Cracked Lips and Split Skin Near the Corners of the Mouth
- Problems Swallowing, Speaking, or Chewing
- Thick or Stringy Saliva
What Is An Effective Way To Cure A Dry Mouth?
It is so important because it helps keep your mouth moist and can also help you lose weight! (Water doesn’t have any calories!) Try to drink a glass of water after every 2 to 3 hours to prevent dehydration.
How To Treat Dry Mouth At Home?
Dry mouth occurs when the saliva-producing glands are not functioning properly. It is not an officially diagnosable disorder, but it’s occasionally a symptom of a different condition. A dry mouth may be quite painful, but home remedies can ease it. Home dry mouth treatments can be useful to get relief from dry mouth.
Dry Mouth Remedies:
One can follow any of the dry mouth relief home remedies to avoid the problem:
Avoid Certain Medications:
Different things can cause a dry mouth. If you think the side effect is from medication, autoimmune disease, gum disease, then you need to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about it right away to maintain your oral health. The effective way to treat dry mouth is by changing to a different type of medicine.
Medications cause the majority ( more than 90%) of the cases of mouth dryness, like changing from one brand to another, though you should also talk with a doctor as soon as possible and see what they recommend.
Various Medicines Cause Dry Mouth.
- Hormone Therapies
Fluoride toothpaste is a dry mouth relief home remedy to prevent tooth decay and dry mouth. It keeps your teeth strong and helps avoid cavities, leading to dry mouth from bacteria leading to the dry mouth. It is one of the best dry mouth treatments.
Suck On Sugar-Free Candies:
Sucking on sugar-free candy or mints can alleviate the symptoms of momentarily dry mouth problems. Sucking sugarless candy is a good dry mouth treatment because they reduce your risk of tooth decay and increase your chance of obtaining a dry mouth. It is good to avoid sugary food, spicy and salty dry food, instead take sugarless candies to prevent dry mouth.
Chew Sugar-Free Gum:
Chewing gum is an easy fix for dry mouth and provides a temporary solution. Sugar-free gum can also provide short-term relief from dry mouth. Also, some sugarless gum contains xylitol which helps stimulate saliva production.
Chewing sugar-free gum for a couple of minutes will increase the flow of saliva. Chew a sugar-free gum that has an ADA Seal of Acceptance to get the best possible results.
Use Alcohol-Free Mouthwash:
Alcohol-free mouthwash can help dry mouth feel better. Opting for alcohol-free mouthwashes will have a more immediate effect on dry mouth relief than the usual ones.
Use Fluoride Rinse:
Fluoride mouthwash is a treatment for dry mouth relief. The fluoride in these types of rinse has a positive effect on dry teeth and gums, promoting better oral health.
Stop Mouth Breathing:
Breathing through your mouth can cause dry mouth as dry mouth occurs due to dry air.
Breathe Through Your Nose ( Nasal congestion):
Breathe through your nose for dry mouth relief. Breathing through the nose can help humidify dry air, which will assist in relieving dry mouth symptoms.
Drink More Water:
The best way to relieve dry mouth is by drinking plenty of fluids, such as drink plenty of water and juice or even green tea that contains fluoride for better oral health.
Get A Humidifier:
Use a humidifier at your home, especially at night when you sleep, to dry mouth relief.
Herbs can be beneficial to stimulate saliva production and temporarily relieve dry mouth, among them:
- Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis): Aloe vera juice is a sweet alternative to industrial mouth sprays and salves.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale): Ginger is an herbal sialagogue, which helps stimulate the secretion of saliva and can help with dry mouth.
- Hollyhock root (Alcea spp.): Hollyhock soothes and moisturizes dry mouth.
- Marshmellow (Malva spp.): Marshmallow root is popular in traditional herbalism and is effective for dry mouth. Alcea digitata provides relief as well since it is related to marshmallows.
- Sweet Pepper(Capsicum annuum): Sweet peppers promote salivation.
There are various home remedies for dry mouth. You may want to add ginger or green tea with fluoride to your diet or take a supplement of B-complex vitamins with thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, and B6.
Kick Dehydrating Habits:
Here are some recommendations:
- Avoid Caffeine: Caffeinated beverages cause dehydration. It is good to limit caffeine intake either in coffee or tea to stimulate the salivary flow.
- Limit Alcohol use: Alcohol consumption may worsen dry mouth. When experiencing dry mouth, try drinking water instead of alcohol. Alcohol use isn’t a proven risk factor for this issue.
- Stop Smoking: Smoking can also lead to dry mouth because it dehydrates the body. Smoking also increases dry mouth issues. Smokers seemed to be at a lower risk for dry mouth.
- Drop Sugar: Like caffeine, alcohol, and smoking, sugar may cause dental problems and dehydrate you. There are various remedies for dry mouth; a good option would be to cut back on sugar.
Get Your Vitamins:
Even a dry mouth will not cause other oral health issues like inflammation or sores, but it may help create an environment for bacteria and infection to grow. According to the American dental association, effective ways to treat dry mouth include the intake of Vitamin C supplements. So does Vitamin B, which helps the salivary glands to maintain their protective layer.
Dryness of the mouth is an uncomfortable condition. With the help of your dentist and by opting for organic treatments, you can learn how to prevent the symptoms. Take good care of your oral, dental health and talk with your dentist to find the best dry mouth home remedy to keep your mouth feeling comfortable.
When To Call The Doctor:
If you always feel your mouth has cotton and experience discomfort for more than a few days, make an appointment to see your physician or dentist. Your primary care physician can make a firm diagnosis and determine the appropriate treatment for you.
Useful reference: https://superfoodish.com/dry-mouth-treatment-natural/